2017 is the year I increase my income. I already have a regular job, so I will be focusing mainly on side hustles and things I can do from home, online and in my spare time. I wrote this post which explains the areas I will be investigating.
One of the first apps I have decided to try is Receipt Hog. This app is completely free to download and free to use and is available both in the App Store and Google Play.
Every time you make a purchase of any kind, you take a photo of your receipt – it’s as simple as that! Each receipt then earns you one of three things – coins, free spins or sweepstake entries.
HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR RECEIPTS
1. Tap on ‘camera’ at the bottom of the screen.
2. Line your receipt up within the guidelines shown on the screen and press the camera icon at the bottom. This will take a photograph of your receipt. At this point, if your receipt is longer than the allowance, you will need to take more than one photograph which splits the receipt in to sections. Make sure that the photos overlap slightly to ensure you do not miss a section of the receipt as this would deem the receipt unacceptable. Once you have taken the photo of your receipt (or photos if it’s a long one), click Done.
3. You will then be taken to a screen to review the image that has been captured. Here you will be given the chance to retake the picture and go through step 2 above, or to accept it by tapping on ‘Looks Good’.
4. The final screen requires you to indicate who made the purchase and to give a rating out of 5 stars. THAT’S IT. Once processed by Receipt Hog you will automatically receive your coins, sweepstake entry or free spins.
5. The only other thing you need to do, is to keep collecting your receipts and uploading them to let your rewards build up.
RECEIPT HOG REWARDS
Coins are the way you will EARN cash and you even have two options for redeeming your coins – Amazon Gift Cards or cash via Paypal. The amount of coins you earn for each receipt depends on the amount spent and the items purchased. Coins are earned from any store that sells groceries, health items, beauty products etc and you will earn the following:
I have listed some examples further below of what I have earned from my uploaded receipts.
If your receipt is for clothing, home improvement or electronics etc, rather than groceries, it may not qualify for coins but you can still get free spins to use on the slots. Prizes from free spins on the slots range from 10 coins to £66 in cash. Again, this is all done via the app and there is no cost whatsoever to you. It is not gambling, you can only use the slots with the free spins earned from uploading your receipts.
Each receipt you upload is one entry into the Sweepstake for that month. The sweepstake takes place on the 1st of every month. There are 5 prizes of 5000 coins, 500 prizes of 200 coins and 5000 prizes of 20 coins.
Each month they also run challenges, for example, for January if you upload a receipt in week 1 you will be rewarded 1 free spin. If you upload receipts for 3 weeks in January you will be rewarded with another free spin. If you manage to upload every week in January you will be rewarded with 2 free spins.
OTHER WAYS OF EARNING COINS OR SPINS
There are a few other ways to make extra coins in addition to uploading your receipts:
Connect your email account - Once you have signed up, you can choose to connect your email account and you will earn an instant 100 coins for this.
Connect with a household member - If there are members of your household who also join up, you can earn 40 coins by connecting with them via the app.
Invite/Referral Code – You are given a referral code and if someone you know also signs up and uploads a receipt, you can earn 10 free spins and they will earn 5 free spins. If you fancy joining Receipt Hog, you could use my referral code which is bland520 and we could earn free spins together.
Redeeming coins is also simple. The amount of ‘coins’ you earn determines how much cash you can make (see table below). Once you have earned enough you simply click on ‘Redeem’, found at the bottom of the screen, and then ‘Redeem Prizes’ which you will find at the top of the next screen. You will then be given the option of whether to redeem for an Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash.
Examples of rewards I received from receipts I have uploaded:
As you can see, it is mainly grocery shops where you can earn your coins and I even earned 1 sweepstake entry for a receipt for some drinks purchased in Venice – so make sure you upload EVERY receipt possible.
The way I am going to treat this money making venture is to snap every single receipt I can and just forget about the balance. I will then look at redeeming any coins earned at the end of the year.
This is not something that is going to make you rich overnight but it is a way of making money for very little work and at absolutely no cost to you, as you would be purchasing the items on the receipt anyway. Definitely worth downloading.