Fancy a poached egg but can’t be bothered to wait. Now you don’t have to. You can make a poached egg in your microwave in just 1 minute.
I love poached eggs, but my stomach sinks at the thought of using a pan and standing over them whilst they cook. When I came across this idea on the internet (I can't remember where) I just had to try it for myself and it was so easy! I will never poach eggs using my cooker again.
- Microwave (obviously lol)
- Large mug or jug – you need something that you can fill to around 1/3 full but where the water will cover the raw egg
- Put the kettle on to boil
- Fill your mug or jug 1/3 full of boiling water
- Crack your egg into your mug – make sure there is enough water to cover the egg
- Place the mug in your microwave and cover
- Cook on high for 1 minute
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon
Different sized eggs will vary slightly on the time they take to cook. At this stage, if you feel that you would like your egg to cook longer, just pop it back in the boiling water in the mug to a few more seconds before checking it again.
On the day I took my photos for this blog post, I made two poached eggs. I cooked each one individually, so I did the first one for 1 minute and then removed this and cracked the second egg directly into the water and cooked this for 1 minute. Yes, that is toast and not bread! My Husband says I don't eat toast I just eat warm bread.
So quick and so easy. This would be perfect for eating at work. If you have access to a toaster and a microwave, all you would need to take are the eggs and bread and you would be able to have Poached Eggs on Toast for your lunch!